You must have came across terms like TFN when researching for Working rights in Australia. In this article, we will break down at every step, a guide to working in Australia without any hassle. Keep reading!
What is a TFN or Tax File Number? According to ATO or the Australian Taxation Office, A tax file number is a unique number that is issued to each taxpaying entity in tax and superannuation systems
How to apply for a TFN? TFN is pretty simple to apply as it will only take about 10 minutes online. Your tax file number will be unique to you.
The Australian Permanent Residency Process in 7 Simple Steps:
Just the thought of documentation and filling out forms can be a nightmare for people. Applying for Australia PR is not a cakewalk, but, with the right guidance, the process can be simplified for those who wish to gain an Australia visa. Here are the 7 steps:
1) Step one
Go to www.ato.gov.au.
- Some important things to note before applying are first, this is the only legitimate government website for the tax file number application. Don’t get trapped by scammers.
- Second, you’ll need to set up your Australian bank account before you can apply for a tax file number.
- Third, unless you go through an agency, you can only apply for your tax file number once you’re in Australia, through the ATO website.
- Fourth, without your tax file number, you’ll pay a higher rate of tax and you’ll only have 28 days to supply this to your employer.
- Lastly, once you start working, in Australia, you are required to pay tax in Australia.
Back to the Steps to apply.
2) Step two
Go to “Individuals” and click to “how to apply for a tax file number”.
3) Step three
Pick your circumstance, for example, for me it was the foreign passport holders section. Make sure you apply for the correct type.
4) Step four
Press Apply online for a TFN. While you study in Australia, try to gain clarity on the entire process before your study visa in Australia expires.
You may like to read:
5 MISTAKES TO AVOID AS AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT IN AUSTRALIA
5) Step five
Now you just need to fill out your personal details. You will also need an Australian address for your tax file number to be posted in the mail. Press Submit.
Take note of your reference number for the future. Your tax file number will be posted to your Australian address within 28 days and It’s done.
How easy is that to keep a track of your tax, government benefits and Medicare?
After completing these 5 steps, that’s all! We hope this helped you to understand the process!